Want to try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® but don't know where to start? We're sharing the basics of painting furniture with Annie Sloan in this handy beginner's guide!
- Remove all hardware (handles, hinges, etc) from the piece you’re going to paint.
- Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® doesn’t require any priming or sanding. The only preparation you need to do is make sure your piece is clean, so wipe it down, making sure not to use any harsh chemicals!
- Pick your paint, open the can, and stir!
- Dip your Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® Brush into your color and apply directly to the piece you’re painting.
- Now for the fun part: painting! Cover the entire area with brush strokes going in all directions.
- Now for the not so fun part: patience! Wait for your piece to be dry to the touch (approximately 1-3 hours). Then apply a second coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®.
- Once the paint is fully dry (we suggest waiting at least 24 hours), it’s wax time! Use an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® Wax Brush or a lint-free cloth and apply your chosen wax in the same fashion that you applied the Chalk Paint®. We suggest working in sections to ensure complete coverage!
- Then, use a lint-free cloth to gently remove any excess wax. Don’t rub too hard or you’ll remove all the wax and have to start over!
- It taxes 2 weeks for the piece to fully “cure”, so while you can use your furniture sooner, be extra careful to not damage the finish!